Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hampton Court: A Step Down History Lane

So it's the second day of my travel and yes, the adventure has begun! Headed to Hampton Court yesterday and I didn't have the slightest idea of what was coming towards me. Here I am, naive little Malaysian thinking of a white castle with big rooms and grand closets. What I saw was NOTHING like what I imagined! Red bricks, secret rooms, giant potraits, long hallways, HISTORY in life, hundred years old wine barrel and soooooo much more. 

What is this Hampton Court then? Hampton Court used to be the castle of Henry VIII, one of the most known ruler in the English History. From what I've learned, he used to ruled England with such fame and power that he brought His Majesties Kingdom to a whole new level. This dude King of England used to have 7 wives, each with a different set of stories that we can learn throughout the trip in the castle. Three of the wives were beheaded under his command. His first wife, Katherine of Aragon did not manage to get any son for His Majesty, which at that time people believed it was a curse. Even after re-marrying, the King did not manage to get a heir for his throne, which eventually was handed to Princess Mary, His daughter with Katherine. 

Guests will be guided by audio guides which will be given at the entrance, and for so much information, GBP 13.50(student price) is a very fair price to pay. 

Info: GBP=Great British Pound

The best part is yet to come. The King did not only have a grand castle, he wanted more. He kept a garden SO HUGE, I think you can build a zoo in it and still have space for England football team to train in. The garden is so well kept and so huge that the only word coming out from your mouth would be "Wow". There is also a maze in the middle of the garden, those made with tall grass hedges where Alice is trapped in Wonderland. Well, Mike in Wonderland it is now.

Oh ya, by the way, rumors has it that the spirits of the beheaded Queens are still haunting the palace. I saw a postcard which said Queen Katherine would come out in the middle of the night, shriek and go off. Well if I see that, I would do the same. Scream and get the hell away! 

Here are some pictures to share with you guys! :)

One of the many Astrological Clock in the world!! And guess what? It still works!!!


Thats me cutting up for breakfast. JUST CUTTING, not cooking.


The road leading towards the castle. 


That's me and my Uncle James in front of the castle.


Warrior of the 17th Century. Check out his Halbert!


One of the hundreds of sculptures of the castle. It comes in so many different forms, lions, dragons and some things I can't explain.


Doesn't this just make you say "wow"?


The clocktower of the castle. It striked twelve when I walked in. HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOO Henry!!!


They have REAL LIFE actors re-enacting the history of Henry VIII story.


Red bricks filled the walls of the castle.


This is the middle garden of the castle. No one is allowed in the garden!


There you go! King Henry VIII himself! ALLLLLL HAILLLLLLLL THE KINGGGGGGG!!


See the shape of this tree in the garden! SUPERB!


Part of the garden. I wonder how much are spent on keeping it this way.


Huge garden aye?


It's just a waste that visitor isn't allowed in this garden.


The vine cellar. Check! Any unusuals in the photo?



There are so much more pictures but I'm sorry I can't post them all. I'll get it into Facebook when I head back. It's gonna be Chinatown tomorrow! So keep checking for more updates. 


Farewell my beautiful citizen! Peace be with you!! I shall rule another land!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment